Saturday, February 2, 2008

Home at Last

Bill is now in his final Home. We got to the hospital about 7:40. His breathing rate was extremely rapid. They started morphine, and switched from ventilator to oxygen tube (because of the high breathing rate) around 8:00. Just minutes after 10:00 pm he took his last breath. Phil & I were both there. Ruth had gone to the hotel after saying goodbye to her husband for 53 years. It was very difficult for us, but I know that by the grace of God, we will make it through this.

I have no information about funeral time, etc. yet. I have only slept about 4 or maybe 5 hrs. since yesterday, then drove home. After a nap, I might be more coherent & might have more details on the service. The girls & I will go up tomorrow.

Just as a gentle thought to all of you who might attend the service: we have learned that people grieve in different ways, and need different things at this time. For Ruth, I think she will need the support of lots of people. For Phil, he will need "space" and time alone. I would like to ask that if he seems to not want to visit with people that you would graciously allow him that "space." I will probably just need a big box of tissues and a bigger dose of patience with the girls!

We love you and thank you so much for your prayers!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugs and many thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. Will be thinking of you and love you all so much. I'm glad you got to Temple in time to say goodbye.

Bethy-Poo

Anonymous said...

Lori, my prayers are with you and your family!

Anonymous said...

I am glad too that you made it there and were with him. Thinking of you and praying for your family. Love ya!

Laurie

Anonymous said...

Lor - I am so sorry. I am grateful you and Phil were with Bill as he passed. I know that was comfort to you both as well as to Bill. I know this has been a difficult time for you and more difficult times lay ahead. I will pray for strength and comfort for you and your family. Love and hugs, TJ

Stephanie said...

My sweet friend, I have been praying for you and your family for the last few days. I'm so sorry, and I do hope you are able to rest up a bit here and there during this emotional time.