Thursday, October 16, 2008

The "D" word and the "E" word

When I went to the doctor the other day, she had my bloodwork results in. My bad cholesterol is high & my good cholesterol is low. To cure the bad one, I have to do the "D" word. And for the good one, the "E" word. Do you know these two words? Diet & Exercise! I REALLY need to exercise to stay healthy. I've never HAD to go on a weight loss diet in my life. The only times I've really had to be careful were when I was pregnant with Natalie & after she was born. Then with the Celiac diagnosis, I had to alter my diet drastically, but not for losing weight. In fact, I've gained 40 lbs. on this diet. I gained 30 of those in 7 months. Then I gained another 10 when I had to take some steroids for an allergy. I've gained & lost a few pounds over that, too. I have looked at low carb diets, but in reality, what helped me stop gaining so much with Natalie, and what is best for the cholesterol problem, as far as diet goes, is primarily watching my fat intake. Phil said, "No more ice cream" to which I replied, "Oh, they make sugar free fat free ice cream now!" He rolled his eyes. I snickered.

Meanwhile, I am supposed to get 2000 calories into Bethany per day. The doctor wants us to buy some protein drink, but it's $36. I want to see if they have samples. I don't want to pay $36 for a huge container of something she won't drink. She LOVES Carnation Instant Breakfast, so I'm buying it in the biggest container our grocer carries. I need to go to Sam's with someone and see if they carry it in bigger containers for a better price per serving. I'm trying to get her to drink whole milk. She prefers low fat. Go figure! Mixed with the Breakfast Mix, she'll drink it, so that's a start. I told her she can drink as much of that as she'd like.

I think we are now in the Sprat home. Do you know the Sprats? Jack and his wife?

Jack Sprat could eat no fat
His wife could eat no lean
And so between the two of them
They licked the platter clean!

I'm open to yummy gluten free low fat recipes!

1 comment:

Becky Kiser said...

weight watchers has worked so well for me. and it's not a fad diet (like all those card ones) that inevitably have you gain all your weight back once you go back to normal life. since i'm not able to excercise much, weight watchers was great b/c it taught me proper portions and better food choices. i did both their programs flex/points (lost my first 30lbs) and core (lost my next 20lbs). yes it costs a month membership (and meetings are a must, don't skimp on those). but think what you'd save in teh long term. plus i know a certain niece that would be willing to make an investment in your health if you want that for chirstmas. :) love you! don't be discouraged. i've been there. it's possible to get rid of those pounds. plus you'll feel so much more confident-- for yourself and your man! ;)