Saturday, January 31, 2009

Thin Mints? Samoas?

Have I mentioned that it's Girl Scout Cookie time? To date, we have just over 100 boxes sold. The girls want to hit 300. The past 2 years we've had grandparents in the hospital during our selling season, meaning parents were occupied & not as able to go around selling cookies. Phil has taken the girls out once & I took them out delivering & collecting orders today. We also have door tags to hang on doors if no one is home.

We are signed up for SIX cookie booths! Yes, SIX! Hope we do really well at those!

I found myself kick into salesperson mode as we were walking around. Some neighbor guys were standing outside & I hollered out as we got close, "Did you get your Girl Scout cookies yet?" Got some orders there. I thought, "If only I could get people to spend money that quickly on Pampered Chef!"

This time of year is quite difficult on a Celiac. Do you KNOW what it's like to have over 50 boxes of Girl Scout cookies, MOST OF WHICH ARE THIN MINTS, in your house and NOT be able to eat even one? Not because of losing weight, but because I don't want to get sick. I do, however, have a recipe for gluten free Thin Mints. While I AM supposed to be losing weight, I might have to mix up this recipe. It's been awhile since I made these. I could use Splenda, but that just wouldn't be the same. All I know is I want Samoa Thin Mints! (um, yeah, you say it like it means some more thin mints)

So, thanks to someone on the Internet who created this, here is the GF thin mint cookie recipe!
GF THIN MINT COOKIES:

1-1/2 Cup GF Flour (I use Bette Hagman's rice mixture for all my cookies)
1/3 Cup plus 1 Tablespoon Cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 Cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon mint extract (I used McCormick's)
3 (1 oz. squares semisweet chocolate) (I think I doubled this amount)
1/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

In a large bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter until creamy. Add the sugar, and beat
until mixed well. Beat in egg and mint extract. Mix GF flour, cocoa and
salt together and add mixture by halves into creamed mixture, beating well
after each addition. Divide dough in half. On lightly floured surface
roll dough into two 1-1/2 inch diameter cylinders. Wrap each cylinder in
waxed paper, and refrigerate 5 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prior to baking place cylinders in freezer for
30 minutes. Remove one cylinder at a time, and slice 1/4 inch thick pieces
with very sharp knife. Place on cookie sheets about 1-1/2 inches apart.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Melt 1/4 cup butter and the semisweet chocolate in a
double boiler or in the microwave. Drizzle over warm cookies. LET COOL AND
HARDEN COMPLETELY

NOTE: I found that this last step worked best if you place the cookies on a
wire rack and then drizzled the chocolate over them. That way the coating
will not puddle around the cookie.

ANOTHER NOTE: This year I saw another recipe that melted mint chocolate
chips instead of the semisweet chocolate over the top. This might taste
good too! You might want to leave the mint out of the cookie though and
just have it in the coating.

No comments: