Monday, April 28, 2014

Kidney Stones & Tummy Troubles

Reminder: These blog posts are a journal of sorts so that someone else dealing with kidney stones might see my experience and hopefully glean something helpful from it.

Warning: This is that topic no one talks about. Ahem. It's just not a pleasant thing to discuss, but it is what it is. And if you've ever lived in a third world country, you have talked about poop in your life more than anyone else. Apart from moms, that is. Moms all talk about poop.

If you have ever had anesthesia or even prescription pain medicine, you may have experienced "tummy troubles" aka constipation. Even though you are drinking lots of water (because it seems no matter what your illness or surgery is a big part of the solution is water), the meds are causing things to stop up a little. Now, this is great fun when you are also having pain in the general region.

In an effort to combat this issues, over the past few days I've had a small amount of Milk of Magnesia and small amounts of Miralax. The last thing I wanted was to be running to the bathroom because of taking too much laxative! Today I woke up around 3 a.m. The M.O.M. had started working, but thankfully not severely. Even so, it was enough that just when I'd get settled back into bed I'd need to get back out. Finally around 6 a. m. I drank some mint tea with honey. I had taken some hydrocodone at 3 since it had been 6 hours since my last dose and I was feeling some pain. I am only taking it at night now. It is now 7 a.m. and I have not fallen back to sleep. My tummy feels like it is settling a bit, but I'll have to see if I can sleep without any more runs.....to the bathroom. ha, ha! Gotta laugh sometimes, you know?

I'm so thankful that I'm not REALLY having to run to the bathroom. I'm also thankful that my legs are not sore like they were the first 2 days. I don't think I would have been able to move as much as I've needed to do so.

I will be getting back on my smoothie routine which includes flax seed to help with this issue.

Now this is definitely a TMI topic! Remember, you had fair warning! :)

No comments: