Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year's 2012! OOOOPS, 2011

Well, I obviously have not improved my typing skills yet this year. I did type 2012 as the year! Phew, this one went by fast, didn't it? LOL!

I'm going to try to post more this year. I so love writing & this is a good therapy for me. My dad wondered why I started a blog in the beginning & who would read it. Now he has fussed at me for NOT posting, so Dad, this is for you!

Speaking of my dad, he turned 76 yesterday. Happy Birthday! As I said at the table today, it's like being a kid again where you look forward to birthdays. Except now we celebrate each year (and day) we still have them with us.

For anyone out there who might possibly still be reading or checking into my blog, I will say in short that 2010 was a very sad year. 2 of my friends were diagnosed with cancer. My friend Kathy had a mastectomy in May and spent the entire summer & fall at, as she puts it, "Camp Chemo." She is now undergoing radiation. We are trusting that there is not one single cancer cell left in her body.

Sadly, my friend Linda's story is different. She was diagnosed in early May and had a hysterectomy. Unfortunately, the doctor did not remove all of the cancerous lymph nodes. He told her that he hoped that chemo would diminish these nodes. She did so well through the first several treatments, and physically, did well for the last few as well. However, in the midst of chemo, her mom, who had been practically living with Linda and her family, passed away of a very unexpected illness. 2 days after Linda finished her final chemo treatment, she collapsed and had to be taken to the hospital. She spent the next 5 1/2 weeks there, then on December 1st her body could not continue to function and she went home to be with the Lord.

So often I find myself not believing it is real. I believe she will pick up the phone & call me. I believe she is going to be at her house when I go there. And now as we start selling Girl Scout cookies again, I am waiting for her e-mails telling us all the dates and times we need to know. She was the cookie mom for the past 3 or 4 years. When I do fully understand that she is gone my heart aches. My heart aches not for Linda. Linda grew so close to the Lord in the last few months of her life. No, it is her family for whom my heart aches. Her beloved daughter and husband. Her precious daughter lost the 2 most important women in her life this year. Her dear husband spent so much of his time just caring for his family over the past several months. Now they are beginning a new life this new year. I know God will give them, and us, grace for each new day, but the empty spot still leaves us aching.

One thing that has not changed at all is that I am still very much mom and I believe I am being called to duty this instant.

Until next time!

No comments: