Sunday, February 14, 2010

What can you not do online?

A week or so ago my nephew blogged about the incredible amount of resources available on the internet for ministry. You can read his blog HERE. His title was the same as mine. Is English the only language where we ask a rhetorical question in the negative but mean the opposite? Did anyone understand THAT question in English? LOL! I mean that he asked the question, "What can't you do...?" but meant, "look at all the things you CAN do...." My nephew has been in ministry for 6 years, at least professionally for 6 years. He's been in some form of ministry since he trusted Jesus to be His Savior as a teenager. His current position is (and I may say this wrong) Student Pastor and Internet Pastor. I may have totally messed that up, but he is responsible for finding ways to use the Internet for the church's ministry. He actually developed an app for the iPhone so you can watch Trinity Baptist on your phone. I find that kind of Star Trekish in a cool way. I, however, have a Zphone---zero dollars, provided by AT&T without bells & whistles, so I just read about how smart he is.

When I saw his title, I decided to take the question literally. I live with an autistic child. Literal is the norm. Here is a starter list for what you CAN'T do on the internet. I'd LOVE to hear from you about those things you just can't do with the click of a mouse.
You can't:
  • kiss a boo-boo
  • hold a baby
  • cut the umbilical cord when your baby is born
  • hold your sweetheart's hand
  • give a hug
  • taste chocolate (or any other food group)
  • feel the wind or the power of a Kawasaki ZRX zipping down the road (jury is still out on if that's a good thing or not!)
  • wipe your child's tears
  • feel your child squeeze your hand when a doctor is cutting into a wound and it hurts like nothing she's ever felt before
  • touch your parent's face for the last time before they go into the presence of the Lord
  • tickle your child
  • remove a tumor
  • see your autistic child hiding beneath a table because of sensory overload
  • use a cpap to help breathe at night
  • drink a coke
  • feed a plate of food and a drink of water to a Hatian who has lost all but hope in the Lord
  • feel the comfort of your own bed and pillow
  • put in earplugs
My list could go on & on. These aren't all good things, but they are real things that happen and make us grow and change. I am SO thankful for the ways the Lord uses the technology we have (and believe He is the one who gives man the ability to create such things). I am equally thankful for those things we CAN'T do online.

What's your list of what you cannot do online?

1 comment:

One Picky Family said...

Play Twister with my son!

Great post, Lori!