Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Corpus part 3

Ah, I never finished telling you about our trip to the beach. I never STARTED telling you about the beach, did I? We left the aquarium and headed to a Wendy's in Corpus Christi. I was the instigator of this because Wendy's has many gluten free items. I DID tell the others I would be happy to drive through Wendy's & they could eat elsewhere, but they opted for the girl with the red pigtails, too. It turned out to be a VERY inexpensive meal for the Girl Scouts.

One of our moms and her husband have a condo at the beach. They were gracious enough to open their weekend home for us to join them on the beach. There is also a lifeguard right at the beach where their condo is, which was a concern on a Girl Scout trip. The girls played in the water. Some went out deep and rode the waves in to shore. Some used "Boogie boards" to try new things in the water. Some built sand creations (I THINK they were castles! LOL!). The girls saw living sand dollars, held some live fish, found hermit crabs, teensy tiny crabs and even a dead crab (that would be MY child who found the dead one---lovely). They saw LIVE shrimp. We even found a lovely Portuguese Man-Of-War. It really was pretty, but the sting is quite fierce, so we removed it from the premises. The day went so quickly as we relaxed on the beach.

We had thought we'd leave Corpus around 5 or 6. The FIRST car to leave didn't take off til after 6! My van was the last to leave and we weren't on the road til after 8:30. We stopped to eat at a Cracker Barrel, which seemed to hold the record for longest wait time and slowest cook time of any restaurant in the city. We didn't get back into the van until after 10. We hit San Antonio shortly before 1, I think, then dropped people off at 2 different homes. I think it was nearly 2 when we got home. Maybe it was just 1. I was so tired I'm not sure WHAT time it was! I do know I didn't get into bed until 3:30 and napped almost all day on Monday.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take my camera down to the beach, so I have no pictures of this day. Some of the other moms did take pics so hopefully they will be kind enough to share & I can post some here.

It was a really fun trip, but it was SO good to be in my own bed, with no sand & no steaming glasses the moment you open the door to go outside.

No comments: