Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The "True Meaning of Christmas"

How many times have you heard that phrase this year? Or maybe in years past? The funny thing is that people might give you different answers for that. Some might say, "The true meaning is to remember that Jesus was born," or "The true meaning is to remember that Jesus came to show us love, so we need to love others." I HAVE to interject here that one of my "Dork Sisters" gave us all a good laugh this week when she wrote, "I like making a birthday cake for Jesus. It helps us remember the true meaning of school." That's a typo that she will not live down for some time and has given us all time to ponder the true meaning of school.

I could get all theological here. Well, maybe I couldn't, since I'm not a theologian, just a mom who loves the Lord. There are so many songs and so many powerful words which have been spoken on the subject of the true meaning of Christmas. I really believe that Christmas is only the tip of the iceberg. If there had never been Christmas, there would never have been a little boy sitting in the temple teaching the rabbis. There would never have been a man teaching that we can reach out to others even if they are different. There would never have been 5,000 people fed with 5 loaves & 2 fish. There would never have been the healings we read about. There would never have been a persecution and death of a man claiming to be God. And there would never have been Easter. There would be no eternal hope for any of us.

But there was a first Christmas (though it was not called that, just a young couple having a baby in what must have been the worst of locations), there were all those other things, and there is eternal hope. Last week, my husband's uncle passed away. Today we learned that my mother-in-law's last living aunt passed away last night. Her son's mother-in-law also passed away yesterday. A friend learned that her unborn baby had died inside of her yesterday. We ache & we mourn for those who have suffered such losses. Yet, for those whose earthly life ended, those who knew Jesus, and a sweet baby who had never had a chance to live on this earth, are celebrating Jesus in a bigger way than we can even imagine. I think that is what Christmas is about. It's about worshiping Him here while we can because, if we believe in our hearts and confess with our mouths that He is Lord and Savior, then one day we will worship Him face to face.

This song by Steven Curtis Chapman has always brought tears to my eyes, but they are mixed tears of sadness for those we miss and joy for them knowing they are having the best Christmas ever. If you've not heard of Steven Curtis Chapman, he lost a 5 year old daughter last year in May, so he fully knows the pain of missing his loved ones at Christmas as well as the joy of knowing he will see them again.

Going Home for Christmas
Her house was where the family gathered every Christmas eve;
A feast was set on the table and gifts were placed beneath the tree.
Everything was picture perfect, Grandpa would laugh and say,
That woman spends the whole year getting ready for this day.

One year the leaves began to fall and her health began to fade;
We moved her to a place where they could watch her night and day.
But she kept making plans for Christmas from her little room;
She told everyone, I'll miss you but I'll be leaving soon.

I'm going home for Christmas and I'm going home to stay;
I'm going home for Christmas and nothing's gonna keep me away.
I'll be with the ones I love to celebrate the Savior's birth;
This gift will be worth more to me than anything on earth.
I'm going home, home for Christmas.

All the leaves outside have fallen to be covered by the snow;
The family comes with food and gifts and Grandpa comes alone.
There's a sadness in our silence as the Christmas story's read,
And with tears, Grandpa reminds us of the words that Grandma said.

I'm going home for Christmas and I'm going home to stay;
I'm going home for Christmas and nothing's gonna keep me away.
She'll be face to face with Jesus as we celebrate His birth,
And this gift will be worth more to her than anything on earth,
‘Cause she'll be home.

And as we sing ‘Joy to the World' I can't help thinking
Of the joy that's in her eyes right now.
And though our hearts still ache, we know that as we celebrate,
She's singing with the herald angels and heaven's glowing on her face.

And now she's home for Christmas and now she's home to stay;
She's home for Christmas, and nothin' could've kept her away.
She'll be face to face with Jesus, as we celebrate His birth,
And this gift will be worth more to her than anything on earth.
She's home, she's home for Christmas.
She is home, she's home for Christmas.

Here is a beautiful version.

No comments: